Sunday 14 September 2008

New You Death Camp reunion drinks

I met up with a couple of ladies who went to the New You Death Camp -- otherwise known as New You Boot Camp -- on Friday night. It was a very interesting evening. It was great to see them and we complained a lot about how horribly the camp was run.

One of the girls had an injury that Staff F made worse by telling her to continue working on it -- saying it was a groin pull, when in fact it was her hip. Her doctor said she had been mishandled at the camp.

This is not unusual it turns out.

Another girl, who was not at the reunion, but who I have connected with online since the camp, says her doctor was very upset because she was told to continue working on her knee -- Staff F said it was just a niggle and to keep running. In fact, she damaged her leg and had trouble walking for two weeks. She's complained to the boot camp but had not had a response the last time I spoke to her. I wouldn't hold my breath anyway, as I only got a 2-line response saying they had interviewed everyone involved (ie guilty!) and had decided I did not deserve a refund.

One of the girls I met with said she had gained back the weight she lost. It's not sustainable given that much of it has to do with tricks such as weighing you in after lunch and weighing you out before breakfast (and after working out and being told not to take more than a small sip of water so it didn't affect your weight!). One of the girls at the Death Camp drinks said she was convinced the scale was rigged.

Some people will do anything to make money!

The only thing good to come out of the experience was meeting the other girls.

And no, I haven't gotten over the mistreatement yet.

5 comments:

kelly600 said...

Jana,

I can not belive that this is the same Boot Camp that I attended in May this year. I had an amazing week and I am booking to go again next year. I think that your comments are extremeley unfair. It is a boot camp afterall, yes it was tough and very tiring but it did what they said it would do and I came away a completely New Me. The support that I was given from all of the staff and the other girls that were on camp with me was amazaing. No matter how big or small my problems were there was always some one there to help. It was emotional at times and there were ups and downs throughout the week but the staff helped me through and I came out the other side happier, fitter and healthier than I have been in years. I have continued to maintain my fitness since leaving camp and with the nutrtional information I was given I now eat a helthy and balanced diet. It has changed my life and i would recommend New You Boot Camp to anyone who needs to loose weight and kick start a healthier life style. New You Boot Camp was exactly what I thought it would be and I cant wait to go again.

Anonymous said...

The scales are not rigged!! I attended New You Boot Camp twice this year - the first time I lost 10 pounds and 9 and a half inches and kept it off! The second time I went I was lighter than when I left last time and I lost another 7pounds and 8 inches! So far since Jan I have lost 45 pounds including what I lost at camp! I am fitter and stronger and I can honestly say the experience changed my life! I have met some fantastic people since I got involved with bootcamp and forged some strong bonds with other girls in similar situations. The staff are also there at the end of the phone or email if I ever need them for help, support or q's! I am planning my 3rd camp already!

Claire Kerr - Kerruticles said...

(I'm posting this on your latest post because I originally put it in against your July entry, so thought perhaps you may not see it unless I post it here).

Thought I'd report back about my experiences at NuBeginnings, as promised in my earlier post.

I'm so glad I found your blog Jana, because I'm sure I would not have liked New You.

In contrast to your experience at New You, at NuBeginnings we had luxury bedrooms and weren't shouted at once. The exercise was hard work, but we were encouraged and motivated to get through it.

What's more, it was a holistic approach to weight loss, so we learned about nutrition and exercise, and also had hypnotherapy and NLP sessions to help with the underlying causes. Two of the men on my week also gave up smoking, which was great.

We also did Pilates, yoga and Qigong, which were great for training our core muscles and for helping with relaxation.

I loved my experience and am so pleased because I know that the weight I lost was fat only, not water (we drank pints of the stuff every day, and learned how to drink it so that it stayed in our bodies and refreshed the cells).
We didn't have to cut out any food groups to achieve the weight loss either, just ate healthily. So I know that the weight I lost was only fat, and so will not creep back on as easily as it would if I had crash dieted or stopped eating carbs for a week or something similar.

I'm truly grateful I found your blog. Thank you.

sallysue said...

Hi Jana, you sound like a really sweet lady but do you think you were not a bit bonkers thinking a boot camp would not be hard work? Quickly looking for some info on what looks like a good camp - I cannot believe that you have had the time or inclination to write essys on your experience!!! Think you should maybe stick to the spa's hun x

Unknown said...

Jana, I have just returned from a boot camp run by 'Staff F' and the experience was 100% positive. I couldn't disagree more with the comments made in your review. I am 48 and was over 15 stone yet the week has proved to be exactly the kick start I needed. I've worked hard on the camp, given everything my best shot and lost over a stone. The team running the programme were professional, caring and commmitted to helping me achieve my goals throughout. I do hope your review won't put others off. Girls - I highly recommend this course to you!

(...and Jana, btw, the clue was in the title....BOOT CAMP!)